JRuby: An Introduction and Install Guide
What is JRuby?
[JRuby](http://jruby.codehaus.org/) is simply a Java implementation of the [Ruby programming language](http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/).
Why Should I Use JRuby?
- Leverage both Java and Ruby libraries (gems)
- Use existing Java platform to deploy Ruby or Ruby on Rails applications.
- The ability to call or extend Java classes from Ruby (including Spring-managed Java beans)
- Leverage the non-verbose and more pleasant experience of writing code with Ruby.
How do I Install JRuby?
- [Download](http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) and install JDK 1.4 or later.
- [Download JRuby 1.0](http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/)
- Unpack the JRuby archive and add
- Test your install by typing a command such as
Although this book isn’t available until September, 2007, it will be the only published book devoted exclusively to JRuby: